LKAB Contracts ABB for Energy Management
Swedish mining company LKAB has contracted ABB to optimize energy use at its Kiruna and Malmberget underground iron ore mines, and its newest Svappavaara open pit mine.
All three mine operations, located in Northern Sweden, extract and process the iron ore on site; the processed ore is then used in a variety of steel products. ABB says its cpmPlus Energy Manager will improve the energy efficiency of the mines, reduce their carbon footprint and lower their overall energy costs.
“LKAB consumes huge amounts of energy and we need to get a clearer picture of what is spent, and where, in order to be able to identify where to focus on savings,” says Lars Erkki, General Manager of Energy Products at LKAB.
Mining is an extremely energy intensive industry; in many cases, 15 percent of a mine’s total production costs are related to energy.
LKAB can expand the system in the future to include the ports of Narvik and Luleå, which serve as the major export hubs for the company.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management