LKAB Contracts ABB for Energy Management
Swedish mining company LKAB has contracted ABB to optimize energy use at its Kiruna and Malmberget underground iron ore mines, and its newest Svappavaara open pit mine.
All three mine operations, located in Northern Sweden, extract and process the iron ore on site; the processed ore is then used in a variety of steel products. ABB says its cpmPlus Energy Manager will improve the energy efficiency of the mines, reduce their carbon footprint and lower their overall energy costs.
“LKAB consumes huge amounts of energy and we need to get a clearer picture of what is spent, and where, in order to be able to identify where to focus on savings,” says Lars Erkki, General Manager of Energy Products at LKAB.
Mining is an extremely energy intensive industry; in many cases, 15 percent of a mine’s total production costs are related to energy.
LKAB can expand the system in the future to include the ports of Narvik and Luleå, which serve as the major export hubs for the company.
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement