London Data Center Employs Evaporative Cooling
Virtus is building a data center in London – the LONDON2 – that will deploy a new cooling technology to decrease energy consumption, bringing site power usage effectiveness (PUE) to below 1.2. By using fresh-air, evaporative cooling technology, solar panels, ground water from its own well, chimney racks for heat extraction and highly efficient UPS systems, the LONDON2 will be a highly energy efficient data center for London, according to Virtus.
The LONDON2 data center will also use heat pumps to recirculate heat generated by the IT equipment into communal areas.
The site will deliver 11.4 MW of IT power when it opens in summer 2014. Clients can choose ultra-high power density cabinets of up to 40 kW, which can be clustered or installed next to standard power density cabinets without clients having to buy in-row cooling.
Earlier this month, outdoor retailer REI said it retrofitted its Seattle data center with a rooftop evaporative cooling tower to keep servers at optimal temperatures, resulting in a 93 percent reduction in the cooling energy used to operate the facility.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement