Managing the Tangle of Distributed Generation
Consulting firm West Monroe Partners has launched an online platform to help utilities manage the growing number of distributed generation (DG) technologies within their jurisdictions. The cloud-based ConnecttheGrid software can also help customers expedite their DG applications.
ConnecttheGrid serves as an online resource for applicants to learn about requirements and then submit and track the status of their application. The tool also allows utilities to process applications as well as monitor and accurately forecast DG resource performance to deliver stable and reliable grid operations.
The recent growth of distributed generation resources brings a new set of challenges for electric distribution utilities and those challenges are likely to increase as more states boost renewable portfolio goals, according to West Monroe Partners. Utilities should prepare to handle the influx of businesses and consumers requesting to add DG to the grid.
ConnecttheGrid helps utilities address three major areas that are required to effectively integrate and manage the increased number distributed (including renewable generation like solar and wind) generation resources over the next decade:
- Grid access: nearly 90 percent of US states have standard interconnection policies in place for small-scale generation systems. In Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC)’s “2013 Model Interconnection Procedures” report, it recommends that utilities offer online application submissions.
- Grid parity: The US Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative, through its Rooftop Solar Challenge funding rounds, has emphasized streamlining enrollment processes to drive down “soft costs,” estimating that current processes such as permitting and interconnection can comprise up to 40 percent of the total installed cost of a rooftop Photovoltaic system.
- Grid stability: Increasing penetration rates of utility-scale renewables have caused utilities and regulators to develop strategies to balance intermittent energy resources. Real-time impact on load forecasting requirements of “behind the meter” DG resources is already a challenge for many utilities.
Key features of ConnecttheGrid include:
- Electronic submission with error-checking features to increase accuracy
- Workflow management features to allow the utility to process two to four times as many applications with existing staff resources
- Automatic notifications to the utility when applications approach approval time requirements
- Status dashboard that provides applicants and the utility with real-time updates to track approval milestones
- Distributed generation asset tracking and reporting that provides the utility with accurate information of the capacity, type of DG, location of DG (GPS and feeder), and current DG performance
- Real-time distributed generation forecasting that provides the utility with accurate information to improve DG generation forecasting, enabling the utility to increase revenue of spare energy and demand or reduce the amount of energy and demand it needs to purchase on the spot market
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- LED Myths and Facts
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing