Manhattan Hotels Choose CHP
Tecogen sold three combined heat and power (CHP) systems to a boutique hotel group in New York City. The contract, valued at $1.76 million, will include both the prepackaged CHP units as well as the turnkey installation.
The CHP units will operate in tandem with the Consolidated Edison grid, offsetting 100 kW of utility energy for each InVerde module, while simultaneously supplying about twice that value of hot water for hotel operations requiring thermal energy. In addition, the CHP units will provide back-up power in the event of grid outages. Hotel managers will be able to maintain power to systems such as elevators, lighting and other services.
For the hotel applications in New York, each InVerde module is estimated to save annually $69,000 to $89,000. When combined with New York State CHP incentive funds, payback for the hotel group for the three projects will be in less than three years.
Each InVerde module will be equipped with Tecogen’s patented emission system, Ultra, reducing the emissions of criteria pollutants (those contributing to smog) to levels commensurate with fuel cells and far lower than the existing boilers, whose operation will be supplanted by the CHP systems, says Tecogen.
This project will qualify for nearly $1,800 per kW of incentives from the CHP Acceleration Program administered by NYSERDA (New York State Energy Research and Development Authority).
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement