ManpowerGroup Retro-Commissions its Headquarters, Saves $105,000/year
ManpowerGroup’s six-year-old LEED-Gold headquarters in Milwaukee, Wis., cut its annual utility costs by $105,000 by using Johnson Controls’ retro-commissioning process.
The project paid for itself in 12 months by adjusting the building equipment and its operations to meet current conditions.
Although the building is LEED-Gold certified, Johnson Controls says there is a misconception that if you build a new, efficient building, it remains efficient for life, when in fact it needs to be constantly fine-tuned to perform at its best. The retro-commissioning process addresses changes that have developed throughout the building’s life.
Using information collected from the Metasys building management system, the Johnson Controls’ Service team identified 12 possible facility improvement measures at ManpowerGroup. Four were chosen for their high potential to reduce energy and stimulate a fast payback. Upgrades included revising building system schedules to operate more efficiently, switching HVAC units from electric to natural gas, and centralizing the control of the air distribution system.
Once the savings were verified, ManpowerGroup received $25,000 from Focus on Energy, a Wisconsin-based organization funded by investor-owned energy utilities. The organization offers incentives to implement energy-efficiency projects.
Over the past 12 years, ManpowerGroup has worked with Johnson Controls’ Global WorkPlace Solutions business to design, construct and maintain all of its 750 field offices across North America. Global WorkPlace Solutions was hired to manage the design and construction of the new consolidated world headquarters. Johnson Controls was awarded the facility management contract for the facility upon completion in 2007. The building was awarded with the USGBC’s LEED Gold certification in 2010.
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers