Maryland School Goes Solar
Dorchester County Public Schools in Maryland unveiled a 803 kW solar array at Mace’s Lane Middle School.
The ground-mounted installation consists of 3,276 solar panels and will help provide power to the school.
Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the array under a 20-year power purchasing agreement. Kenyon Energy and REC Solar designed and installed the system. Dorchester County Public Schools provided the property for the system.
Dorchester County Public Schools was the first school district in the state to use geothermal technology as a heating and cooling solution in its schools. To date, five facilities are using this technology. Other sustainability initiatives include the use of domestically produced natural gas for heating, wherever possible, and an energy management program that has saved the district over $1 million in avoided energy costs.
Maryland only recently passed a new aggregate, net-metering law that allows one solar system to serve facilities at various locations. Taking advantage of the new law, last fall, the town of Rock Hall, Md., opened its third new net-metered solar array, which was installed by Standard Solar and will be owned and operated by Washington Gas Energy Systems.
In the case of Mace’s Lane Middle School, a Washington Gas Energy Systems spokeswoman said there won’t be excess power to be sold to the utility.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- LED Myths and Facts
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing