Maryland School Goes Solar
Dorchester County Public Schools in Maryland unveiled a 803 kW solar array at Mace’s Lane Middle School.
The ground-mounted installation consists of 3,276 solar panels and will help provide power to the school.
Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the array under a 20-year power purchasing agreement. Kenyon Energy and REC Solar designed and installed the system. Dorchester County Public Schools provided the property for the system.
Dorchester County Public Schools was the first school district in the state to use geothermal technology as a heating and cooling solution in its schools. To date, five facilities are using this technology. Other sustainability initiatives include the use of domestically produced natural gas for heating, wherever possible, and an energy management program that has saved the district over $1 million in avoided energy costs.
Maryland only recently passed a new aggregate, net-metering law that allows one solar system to serve facilities at various locations. Taking advantage of the new law, last fall, the town of Rock Hall, Md., opened its third new net-metered solar array, which was installed by Standard Solar and will be owned and operated by Washington Gas Energy Systems.
In the case of Mace’s Lane Middle School, a Washington Gas Energy Systems spokeswoman said there won’t be excess power to be sold to the utility.
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB?
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement