Massachusetts Energy Agency Saves with EnerNOC
EnerNOC and the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER) have won the 2013 Region I Energy Project of the Year Award from the Association of Energy Engineers. The award recognizes DOER’s data-driven approach to energy management utilizing EnerNOC’s EfficiencySMART cloud-based energy intelligence application.
DOER began its current Leading by Example energy management initiative for state owned or operated facilities in June 2010. Using funding from an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grant, DOER worked with EnerNOC to install close to 1,300 meters at 460 buildings, including university and community college facilities, hospitals, trial courts, state office buildings, and prisons. The meters stream real-time data for all energy commodities through EnerNOC’s EfficiencySMART platform, allowing agencies to track and analyze energy usage over time.
DOER and state agencies can use the data to identify opportunities, which a third-party estimated should yield 5 to 15 percent savings on the Commonwealth’s energy spend.
Sample energy savings include:
- One state university used real-time data to identify usage that was abnormally high at its campus ice rink compared to the previous year. Through changes to the building control settings, the university saved an estimated $30,000 over two months last year.
- Using real-time data, a community college was able to delay building start-up by one to two hours, reducing energy usage and saving an estimated $2,500 over the course of the year.
- Real-time data helped a facility manager identify that a dorm had started running 24/7, without any night setback. Had buildings controls not been adjusted, this issue would have cost the university an extra $1,700 in energy costs per year.
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Approaches to Managing EHS&S Data
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection