Massive New York Apartment Complex Installs Building Management System
Honeywell completed a $2-million smart building retrofit for Spring Creek Towers in Brooklyn, NY. The project will help facility personnel more effectively manage energy use and increase security across the development’s 46 apartment towers and multiple parking garages, retail centers and other amenities.
The improvements include the installation of a centralized building management system (BMS) and local area network (LAN) to improve energy and operational efficiency. The technology also provides the backbone for future enhancements that could span from upgrading access control to optimizing the onsite utility plant, which generates electricity for the entire campus.
As part of the project, Honeywell replaced Spring Creek Towers’ aging alarm system with new sensors in critical areas throughout the apartment towers and associated facilities that can quickly alert operators to doors that should not be open, elevator issues and other concerns. In addition, the system monitors conditions in the central plant and pumping stations that provide hot and chilled water to the buildings.
Engineers also installed utility submeters to provide building managers with more accurate information about energy consumption and help uncover potential improvements. Honeywell Enterprise Building Integrator will tie the alarm and building systems together to give facility personnel a single access point to view and manage all related activity. The building integrator will deliver energy reports for the apartment towers as well, providing in-depth detail on performance trends.
The new facility equipment is connected via a passive optical LAN (POL), a fiber-based solution for enterprise networking. The POL offers converged voice, data and video at gigabit speeds to any Ethernet endpoint. Honeywell says the POL is more reliable than wireless networks, making Spring Creek Towers’ systems less vulnerable to weather-related incidents, such as flooding or strong winds.
Building operators will also use the network for video surveillance and Voice over IP (VoIP), eliminating the need to lease additional telephone and cable lines for these services.
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement