Mauna Kea Resort Lands Incentives for LED Lighting Retrofits
Mauna Kea Resort received $81,874 in financial incentives from Hawaii Energy for installing energy-efficient LED lighting.
The incentives were split between two facilities—$54,870 for Mauna Kea Beach Hotel and $26,914 for Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. The funds will be used to offset the cost of replacing older incandescent lights, halogens and fluorescent tube lights with LEDs.
The lighting, installed by Axis Energy Partners, will help Mauna Kea Beach Hotel save an estimated 585,564 kilowatt hours annually or $199,091 on electricity costs based on $0.34 per kWh. Upgrades at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel will save an estimated 160,361 kWh annually or $54,522 on electricity costs.
The LEDs were installed in areas that require 24-hour-a-day lighting, including the lobby and back-of-house service corridors, according to Hawaii Energy, the ratepayer-funded energy conservation and efficiency program for Hawaii, Honolulu and Maui counties.
Both hotels are planning additional energy-efficient upgrades within the next year. The hotels have also promoted energy savings with its staff by holding Hawaii Energy-sponsored workshops with employees to encourage energy conservation at work and home.
Hawaii is one of the most energy expensive states in the U.S.,according to a ranking released by WalletHub in July. WalletHub used six metrics to examine factors that affect energy costs in the 50 US states and the District of Columbia, including the price and consumption of residential electricity and the price of fuel at the pump.
Image from Hawaii Energy
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Combined Heat and Power
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity