MC2 and CM3 Deliver Energy Management for Florida Hospital
MC2, based in Sanford, Fla., provided and installed the heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) energy management system for the 198-bed Villages Regional Hospital. Discussions about establishing an energy baseline and improving energy efficiency began in 2009 and concluded in 2011 with the decision to implement a large scale energy project that would yield a guaranteed savings.
MC2 partnered with CM3 Building Solutions, located in Fort Washington, Pa., to implement an energy savings performance contract (ESPC).
The hospital had long wanted to have the capability to run the entire facility on one of the two 650 ton variable-speed drive (VSD) chillers. The engineering staff attempted this on several occasions in an effort to reduce load and energy costs, but was unable to maintain comfort levels in the hospital due to the high humidity. Through the performance contract, CM3 and MC2 added five variable-frequency drives (VFDs) to the original five air-handling units located in the hospital, adding two VFDs to the hospital steam/boiler plant and adding four VFDs to the pumps for the two primary chillers in the hospital. The project also encompassed replacing the air cooled chiller in the adjacent medical office building with a new chiller and cooling towers that included the addition of two pumps with VFDs and replacing the two boilers in the MOB with a new boiler.
The HVAC project resulted in $200,000 in annual energy and operating savings.
Both MC2 and CM3 are members of InsideIQ Building Automation Alliance, an organization comprised of independent commercial building and facility automation companies representing common automation and security system platforms.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year