Michigan Chamber Of Commerce Counters Anti-Fracking Group
The Michigan Chamber of Commerce launched an advertising campaign, called “Protect Michigan’s Energy Future” to counter a ballot initiative that aims to ban fracking in the state. The Chamber’s ad campaign includes billboards, posted across the state, as well as a website.
The Michigan Chamber Board of Directors recently voted unanimously to support responsible oil and gas exploration in Michigan and to oppose any attempt to ban the use of hydraulic fracturing. The Chamber says its ad campaign is necessary to counter a “false and misleading petition drive now underway by environmental activists.”
The Committee to Ban Fracking in Michigan is gathering signatures to start a statewide ballot initiative to prohibit the practice of horizontal fracturing in the state. A legislative initiative requires 258,088 valid signatures from Michigan voters to qualify to be on the 2014 general election ballot.
The Chamber considers oil and gas drilling, including with hydraulic fracturing, a key industry for the state that provides good jobs. And according to the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, 80 percent of Michigan homes are heated with natural gas.
As a statewide business organization, the Michigan Chamber represents about 6,400 employers, trade associations and local chambers of commerce.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- Let's Do The Math for DR