Michigan Chamber Of Commerce Counters Anti-Fracking Group
The Michigan Chamber of Commerce launched an advertising campaign, called “Protect Michigan’s Energy Future” to counter a ballot initiative that aims to ban fracking in the state. The Chamber’s ad campaign includes billboards, posted across the state, as well as a website.
The Michigan Chamber Board of Directors recently voted unanimously to support responsible oil and gas exploration in Michigan and to oppose any attempt to ban the use of hydraulic fracturing. The Chamber says its ad campaign is necessary to counter a “false and misleading petition drive now underway by environmental activists.”
The Committee to Ban Fracking in Michigan is gathering signatures to start a statewide ballot initiative to prohibit the practice of horizontal fracturing in the state. A legislative initiative requires 258,088 valid signatures from Michigan voters to qualify to be on the 2014 general election ballot.
The Chamber considers oil and gas drilling, including with hydraulic fracturing, a key industry for the state that provides good jobs. And according to the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, 80 percent of Michigan homes are heated with natural gas.
As a statewide business organization, the Michigan Chamber represents about 6,400 employers, trade associations and local chambers of commerce.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing