Michigan Chamber Of Commerce Counters Anti-Fracking Group
The Michigan Chamber of Commerce launched an advertising campaign, called “Protect Michigan’s Energy Future” to counter a ballot initiative that aims to ban fracking in the state. The Chamber’s ad campaign includes billboards, posted across the state, as well as a website.
The Michigan Chamber Board of Directors recently voted unanimously to support responsible oil and gas exploration in Michigan and to oppose any attempt to ban the use of hydraulic fracturing. The Chamber says its ad campaign is necessary to counter a “false and misleading petition drive now underway by environmental activists.”
The Committee to Ban Fracking in Michigan is gathering signatures to start a statewide ballot initiative to prohibit the practice of horizontal fracturing in the state. A legislative initiative requires 258,088 valid signatures from Michigan voters to qualify to be on the 2014 general election ballot.
The Chamber considers oil and gas drilling, including with hydraulic fracturing, a key industry for the state that provides good jobs. And according to the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, 80 percent of Michigan homes are heated with natural gas.
As a statewide business organization, the Michigan Chamber represents about 6,400 employers, trade associations and local chambers of commerce.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ Security
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement