Microsoft Touts Accenture Smart Building Software
Microsoft has been working with Seattle and its utility Seattle City Light as part of the Seattle 2030 District’s goal to help downtown property owners reduce their energy use 50 percent by 2030.
As part of the 2030 District collaboration, Microsoft is conducting a pilot using Accenture’s Smart Building & Energy Solutions, which identifies and implements energy savings opportunities, alongside Microsoft’s Azure cloud technology. The energy management software is being used on a mix of buildings, including the Seattle Municipal Tower, Sheraton Hotel, Boeing and the University of Washington School of Medicine’s research building.
The city is funding the project through a grant from the US Department of Energy to invest in next-generation energy efficiency technologies, according to Microsoft’s blog.
Accenture’s software is at the center of the pilot, which will increase energy efficiency in large commercial buildings across Seattle’s downtown corridor, says Microsoft. The initial set of buildings totals about 2 million square feet. The intention is to expand the pilot over the next year.
The cloud solution will collect data from the myriad systems in those buildings and use data analytics to provide a prescriptive approach to how the building management systems can be tuned to improve energy efficiency.
Last month, the Seattle 2030 District selected Switch Automation to provide a cloud-based data acquisition and monitoring platform for more than 120 buildings. Switch Automation’s software is also based on the Microsoft Azure platform.
Seattle is a bit of a hotbed for energy efficiency testing, lately. A group of stakeholders in Seattle have partnered to test an investment vehicle for energy efficiency that’s based on a new meter and that aligns the business interests of utilities and commercial buildings. The testing is being conducted at the Bullitt Center’s new Living Building in the city.
Photo credit: Bryce_edwards Flickr photostream
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies