Microsoft Touts Accenture Smart Building Software
Microsoft has been working with Seattle and its utility Seattle City Light as part of the Seattle 2030 District’s goal to help downtown property owners reduce their energy use 50 percent by 2030.
As part of the 2030 District collaboration, Microsoft is conducting a pilot using Accenture’s Smart Building & Energy Solutions, which identifies and implements energy savings opportunities, alongside Microsoft’s Azure cloud technology. The energy management software is being used on a mix of buildings, including the Seattle Municipal Tower, Sheraton Hotel, Boeing and the University of Washington School of Medicine’s research building.
The city is funding the project through a grant from the US Department of Energy to invest in next-generation energy efficiency technologies, according to Microsoft’s blog.
Accenture’s software is at the center of the pilot, which will increase energy efficiency in large commercial buildings across Seattle’s downtown corridor, says Microsoft. The initial set of buildings totals about 2 million square feet. The intention is to expand the pilot over the next year.
The cloud solution will collect data from the myriad systems in those buildings and use data analytics to provide a prescriptive approach to how the building management systems can be tuned to improve energy efficiency.
Last month, the Seattle 2030 District selected Switch Automation to provide a cloud-based data acquisition and monitoring platform for more than 120 buildings. Switch Automation’s software is also based on the Microsoft Azure platform.
Seattle is a bit of a hotbed for energy efficiency testing, lately. A group of stakeholders in Seattle have partnered to test an investment vehicle for energy efficiency that’s based on a new meter and that aligns the business interests of utilities and commercial buildings. The testing is being conducted at the Bullitt Center’s new Living Building in the city.
Photo credit: Bryce_edwards Flickr photostream
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement