Millennials, Seniors Crank up the Thermostat
An online survey conducted by Harris Poll found that in the past month, which was unusually cold across the US, 28 percent of Americans who have control over the temperature in their home typically set their thermostats to higher than a 70 degrees Fahrenheit. About 52 percent maintain their households in the 66 to 70 degree Fahrenheit range. Only 2 percent report keeping their thermostat set below 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the past month.
HomeServe USA commissioned Harris Poll to conduct the online survey in February 2014 among 2,035 US adults aged 18 and over.
The survey also identified a generation gap: those most likely to crank up the heat are senior citizens and millennials. Thirty-four percent of those ages 65 plus and 32 percent of those ages 18-34 who have control over the temperature in their home set their thermostats to 70 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, compared to only 22 percent of those ages 45-64.
The survey found that 27 percent of those who have control over the temperature in their home and live with someone don’t agree on what to set the desired temperature of their home in the winter months.
HomeServe is provider of home emergency repair service plans.
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement