Milton Academy Saves 1M KWh Per Year
Bluestone Energy Services helped Milton Academy boarding school upgrade its mechanical, controls and lighting systems through a campus-wide efficiency retrofit that will save Milton over one million kilowatt hours, 31,000 therms and 1,800 gallons of oil annually, while yielding slightly over a two year ROI. The school is also receiving electric and gas incentives from NSTAR and National Grid of nearly $400,000.
For the project, Bluestone replaced Milton’s existing pneumatic controls system and installed digital controls to the HVAC system including pumps, valves, air-handling units (AHUs), chiller and heat exchangers. The new system allows scheduling strategies to be implemented on a zone basis, saving energy and reducing the need for expensive compressed air required to operate the pneumatic controls.
Bluestone also installed variable frequency drives (VFDs) on AHUs and water circulation pumps, further reducing Milton’s energy consumption.
In addition to the main goal of energy savings, Bluestone’s lighting design focused on standardizing lighting technologies and color temperature. Over 5,000 fixtures were retrofitted to high performance T8 technology. Additionally, LED lighting was installed in all exterior wall packs and decorative post tops. Dual technology sensors installed throughout the campus now allow for lights to switch off in unoccupied areas, further increasing energy savings.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management