Minesto Cracks Low-Velocity Tidal Power Conundrum
Swedish energy start up Minesto is generating electricity from low-velocity currents using a system of underwater kites, reports Forbes.
The “Deep Green” kites (pictured) are equipped with turbines anchored to the ocean floor and move through the current in a figure-eight, the magazine reports.
Minesto claims to have developed the only cost-effective tidal power plant capable of generating electricity in low-velocity currents. A prototype is currently in operation off the coast of Northern Ireland.
Last week, the company won the Industry Pioneer Award at the International Tidal Energy Summit in London for demonstrating how energy can be harvested from low-velocity currents, the magazine says.
The US power industry and academic institutions are working together more than ever before to develop technologies for marine power generation, according to a report by GlobalData released in October last year.
The report, “Marine Power – Installed Capacity, Levelized Cost of Energy, Profiles of Technology Developers and Key Country Analysis to 2030,” said that more than 80 marine energy projects – either wave or tidal – are in various stages of development. There are no commercially active tidal power plants in the US. However, the US does have a 1 MW capacity wave power plant that is commercially active.
About 50 tidal projects are in various stages of development through the US, with many based in Alaska and California, according to the report.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- LED Myths and Facts
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing