Minneapolis Seeks Commercial Energy Data
The city will make the data publicly available, with the ultimate goal being to establish a set of goals and best practices for sharing with landlords.
For many businesses reporting the data should not be a problem as Energy Star’s Portfolio Manager reporting tool is already used to track the energy habits of about 40 percent of US commercial buildings, the news service reports.
But for those that don’t use Portfolio Manager, collating such data can be an administrative burden. For example, businesses that own multi-tenant buildings, may need to get signed waivers from each of their renters allowing them to use and report their data, the news service reports.
Last week, the Energy Department announced its Energy Data Accelerator program that aims to facilitate best practices for energy reporting through partnerships between 16 cities, Including Minneapolis, and their respective utilities, the news service reports.
As part of the program, Minnesota and Xcel Energy plan to develop an online tool that building owners will be able to use to find out about energy use data from their buildings.
In November, Xcel asked the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission to authorize increases in base electricity rates over a two-year period, saying it needs to pay for the costs of renewable energy and enhancing long-term service reliability.
The company has proposed prices for a two-year period, during which investments in carbon-free energy sources, a diverse supply mix and service reliability improvements are at their peak.
Photo credit: Minneapolis skyline at dusk via Shutterstock
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity