Minnesota Hospital Uses SageGlass to Increase Energy Efficiency
Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, Minn., is using electronically tintable SageGlass as part of a major expansion project. Architects at BWBR designed a two-story atrium with SageGlass to serve as a new sunlit lobby and gathering space at the hospital.
Having an all-glass enclosure with south, west and east-facing walls presented a sun control and energy usage problem in terms of glare and solar heat gain, so BWBR ran numerous heat gain and cost analysis calculations using various glazing, sunshades, blinds, louvers and other controls. They found that they would not only be expensive, but they would also negate the benefits of glass, such as passive solar heating, natural lighting and preserving the outdoor views.
SageGlass changes tint automatically throughout the day based on light sensors and the sun’s movement, allowing for daylight and outdoor views in buildings while controlling glare and heat gain. By managing the sunlight and heat that enters a building, SageGlass can reduce a building’s cooling load by 20 percent and HVAC requirements up to 30 percent.
Healthcare facilities are increasingly installing SageGlass as a part of a broad-based approach to healthcare. Optimizing natural daylight and outdoor views in healthcare facilities contributes to improved outcomes and shorter recovery times for patients, according to SageGlass manufacturer Saint-Gobain.
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control