Minnesota Hospital Uses SageGlass to Increase Energy Efficiency
Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, Minn., is using electronically tintable SageGlass as part of a major expansion project. Architects at BWBR designed a two-story atrium with SageGlass to serve as a new sunlit lobby and gathering space at the hospital.
Having an all-glass enclosure with south, west and east-facing walls presented a sun control and energy usage problem in terms of glare and solar heat gain, so BWBR ran numerous heat gain and cost analysis calculations using various glazing, sunshades, blinds, louvers and other controls. They found that they would not only be expensive, but they would also negate the benefits of glass, such as passive solar heating, natural lighting and preserving the outdoor views.
SageGlass changes tint automatically throughout the day based on light sensors and the sun’s movement, allowing for daylight and outdoor views in buildings while controlling glare and heat gain. By managing the sunlight and heat that enters a building, SageGlass can reduce a building’s cooling load by 20 percent and HVAC requirements up to 30 percent.
Healthcare facilities are increasingly installing SageGlass as a part of a broad-based approach to healthcare. Optimizing natural daylight and outdoor views in healthcare facilities contributes to improved outcomes and shorter recovery times for patients, according to SageGlass manufacturer Saint-Gobain.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement