MIT Installs LEDs in Historic Dome
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology installed 48 Incito LED downlights embedded with nLight lighting controls from Acuity Brands as part of the University’s renovation of the Great Dome in the Barker Engineering Library.
MIT updated the historic dome using integrated Gotham LED downlighting with embedded controls to provide consistent light levels for reading in the library, while complementing daylighting from the Dome’s skylight. The daylighting and electric lighting work together to provide illumination during the library’s 24-hour operation.
Since World War II, the skylight of the historic Great Dome was covered with blackout shades. In 2012, MIT uncovered the 25-foot skylight and was confronted with the challenge of how to integrate modern lighting into the classical-style architecture, while successfully illuminating a student study area featuring a 70-foot ceiling.
The Incito LED downlights were specifically adjusted to create lighting for reading. By blending an array of luminaires mounted 70 feet above the reading space with recessed luminaires mounted lower around the parameter, MIT was able to achieve illumination that meets IES standards for reading levels and illuminates the architecture beautifully.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement