MIT Installs LEDs in Historic Dome
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology installed 48 Incito LED downlights embedded with nLight lighting controls from Acuity Brands as part of the University’s renovation of the Great Dome in the Barker Engineering Library.
MIT updated the historic dome using integrated Gotham LED downlighting with embedded controls to provide consistent light levels for reading in the library, while complementing daylighting from the Dome’s skylight. The daylighting and electric lighting work together to provide illumination during the library’s 24-hour operation.
Since World War II, the skylight of the historic Great Dome was covered with blackout shades. In 2012, MIT uncovered the 25-foot skylight and was confronted with the challenge of how to integrate modern lighting into the classical-style architecture, while successfully illuminating a student study area featuring a 70-foot ceiling.
The Incito LED downlights were specifically adjusted to create lighting for reading. By blending an array of luminaires mounted 70 feet above the reading space with recessed luminaires mounted lower around the parameter, MIT was able to achieve illumination that meets IES standards for reading levels and illuminates the architecture beautifully.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Support Lean Manufacturing Principles with IBM Maximo Asset Management
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room