Motor Software Adjusts Torque in Real Time, Saves Energy
Startup company AC Kinetics has developed several algorithms for electric motor control that reduce energy consumption by 10-40 percent, while simultaneously improving motor performance, says the company.
This next generation motor control is compatible with existing AC induction motor drive hardware and is now available for licensing. It will debut at the ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit in Washington, DC, February 25-27. AC Kinetics also has been selected as a Semi-Finalist in the Future Energy Pitching Event at the Summit.
Electric motors consume 45 percent of all electric energy produced globally, and two-thirds of the energy consumed for industrial production. AC Kinetics claims its technology enables motors to run cooler, and therefore last longer, which can substantially reduce the world’s electric bill; the global spend is $570 billion annually.
The AC Kinetics software, supported by real-time adaptive algorithms, runs on standard drive hardware for motorized equipment in the consumer, industrial, and transportation markets. The drive software controls the motor to optimally generate torque on demand in a maximally efficient manner. The software automatically configures itself to achieve a level of motor performance and energy efficiency unreachable even by hand tuning present day drives, according to the company.
Common applications for AC Kinetics motor drive software include:
- Electric vehicles
- Elevators and escalators
- Electric rail
- Air conditioning and fans
- Pumps and compressors
- Industrial machinery
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room