Motor Software Adjusts Torque in Real Time, Saves Energy
Startup company AC Kinetics has developed several algorithms for electric motor control that reduce energy consumption by 10-40 percent, while simultaneously improving motor performance, says the company.
This next generation motor control is compatible with existing AC induction motor drive hardware and is now available for licensing. It will debut at the ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit in Washington, DC, February 25-27. AC Kinetics also has been selected as a Semi-Finalist in the Future Energy Pitching Event at the Summit.
Electric motors consume 45 percent of all electric energy produced globally, and two-thirds of the energy consumed for industrial production. AC Kinetics claims its technology enables motors to run cooler, and therefore last longer, which can substantially reduce the world’s electric bill; the global spend is $570 billion annually.
The AC Kinetics software, supported by real-time adaptive algorithms, runs on standard drive hardware for motorized equipment in the consumer, industrial, and transportation markets. The drive software controls the motor to optimally generate torque on demand in a maximally efficient manner. The software automatically configures itself to achieve a level of motor performance and energy efficiency unreachable even by hand tuning present day drives, according to the company.
Common applications for AC Kinetics motor drive software include:
- Electric vehicles
- Elevators and escalators
- Electric rail
- Air conditioning and fans
- Pumps and compressors
- Industrial machinery
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management