Motor Software Adjusts Torque in Real Time, Saves Energy
Startup company AC Kinetics has developed several algorithms for electric motor control that reduce energy consumption by 10-40 percent, while simultaneously improving motor performance, says the company.
This next generation motor control is compatible with existing AC induction motor drive hardware and is now available for licensing. It will debut at the ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit in Washington, DC, February 25-27. AC Kinetics also has been selected as a Semi-Finalist in the Future Energy Pitching Event at the Summit.
Electric motors consume 45 percent of all electric energy produced globally, and two-thirds of the energy consumed for industrial production. AC Kinetics claims its technology enables motors to run cooler, and therefore last longer, which can substantially reduce the world’s electric bill; the global spend is $570 billion annually.
The AC Kinetics software, supported by real-time adaptive algorithms, runs on standard drive hardware for motorized equipment in the consumer, industrial, and transportation markets. The drive software controls the motor to optimally generate torque on demand in a maximally efficient manner. The software automatically configures itself to achieve a level of motor performance and energy efficiency unreachable even by hand tuning present day drives, according to the company.
Common applications for AC Kinetics motor drive software include:
- Electric vehicles
- Elevators and escalators
- Electric rail
- Air conditioning and fans
- Pumps and compressors
- Industrial machinery
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book