NASA Flight Facility Reduces Energy Intensity 35%
Ameresco completed the first phase of a $28 million energy savings project with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Wallops Flight Facility, located on Virginia’s eastern shore.
As part of the $15 million first phase of the facility-wide project, Ameresco replaced more than 9,950 interior and exterior lighting fixtures with higher efficiency lighting, decentralized an antiquated steam plant by installing a propane distribution system with over 60 building-level condensing boilers while installing over five miles of new underground propane gas piping, upgraded and expanded an existing energy management control system (EMCS) in 14 buildings and interconnected newly installed gas meters to the EMCS.
Performed under the DoE’s Energy Savings Performance Contract Program, the first phase is projected to reduce energy intensity by 35 percent.
Ameresco is currently engaged in building and deploying a $13 million second phase to the project, which includes a geothermal installation projected for completion in 2013. The energy savings performance contract with Ameresco is financed entirely by energy conservation, and Wallops is expected to save over 77,000 million BTU’s a year.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room