Natural Gas and Renewables: Can They Get Along?
A paper written by The Joint Institute for Strategic Energy Analysis on behalf of NREL finds that there are synergies between natural gas and renewable energy at multiple levels.
“Exploring the Potential Business Case for Synergies Between Natural Gas and Renewable Energy” finds that two synergies are:
- Hybrid systems such as smart buildings with both photovoltaic (PV) and natural gas combined heat and power (CHP) systems;
- Transmission corridors that serve both technologies.
Many technologies can offer benefits from joint location and shared transmission corridors, including:
- Natural gas, wind, and compressed air energy storage (CAES)
- Excess wind-to-synthetic gas, sold into existing pipeline infrastructure
- Depleted natural gas wells converting to geothermal or CAES
- Wastewater treatment facilities that use waste heat from natural gas power plants to create clean energy products, such as biogas or high-purity hydrogen for fuel cells.
In terms of hybrid energy systems, the paper cites an example in Karaman, Turkey, where GE is constructing a 530-MW generation plant that will integrate gas, solar thermal and wind within the plant’s design, increasing its efficiency and improving operator control.
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement