NDP Alleges Unqualified Workers Installed Smart Meters
Saskatchewan’s provincial government put the safety of SaskPower customers at risk by using unqualified workers to install its smart power meters, alleges Canada’s New Democratic Party.
The NDP says documents obtained through a freedom of information request shows the government granted an exemption in July 2013 to a law that requires only qualified electrical workers to install power meters, reported CBC. The exemptions applied to SaskPower and private contractor Grid One Solutions.
SaskPower, in response to the allegations, says it’s in compliance with all legislation in the province related to electrical workers, reported CBC.
Earlier this month, Canadian utility SaskPower was ordered by the Saskatchewan government to remove all 105,000 of the Sensus smart meters it has installed across the Canadian province in response to reports of several fires.
SaskPower had been ordered to temporarily suspended its new smart meter installations on July 28 while it investigated the cause of six smart meter fires. The utility will replace the smart meters with traditional ones. Various reports put the cost of the replacement program between $9 million and $15 million. The replacement program is expected to take between six and nine months.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement