Near Real-Time Energy Use Tracked in Washington, DC
The Department of General Services (DGS) has created Build Smart DC, a new website and energy tracking system, which details and shares energy consumption information for every District-owned facility in Washington, DC (more than 400 buildings).
The system, powered by Honest Buildings, is built on thousands of data points that are captured and assessed in near real time, creating an opportunity for the District to adjust and manage its energy consumption city-wide.
Building on DGS’ partnership with the local utility Pepco and Washington Gas Energy Services to acquire the next-day interval feed, Build Smart DC creates a more transparent and collaborative environment for building energy performance, and leverages near real-time energy data to identify energy wastes and catalyze no- and low-cost efficiency improvements.
Although Washington, DC, already has building benchmarking data via the EPA’s Portfolio Manager, according to DGS, building energy performance data is often reported months delayed, and with only a dozen data points per year.
Through Build Smart DC, the District will receive 35,000+ data points per building, per year. This “actionable data” will permit quick targeting of inefficiencies in building operations – such as scheduling that doesn’t match occupancy (a major issue in many commercial buildings). The data will be seen and addressed by the entire ecosystem that impacts building performance, including facilities mangers, executive management, occupants and the public.
Moving forward, some of the additions to Build Smart DC will include: building-to-building (and perhaps even city-to-city) competitions; additional project profiles; natural gas, water and recycling data; comprehensive next-day electricity data; and additional buildings and portfolios.
Photo credit: YoTuT’s Flickr photostream
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room