NEC Commissions Big, Small Energy Storage Systems
NEC Energy Solutions has completed commissioning of six new GSS sites in the United Kingdom for Northern Powergrid. In total, the systems have nearly 2.9 MW of power and 5.7 MWh of energy storage capacity, and were installed in substations in both urban and rural locations.
The largest, a 2.5 MW, 5 MWh GSS in Darlington, is located in an urban industrial area, while one of the smallest, a 50 kW GSS, is located in a residential area in Wooler, a small town in the northern part of England.
Part of the challenge of installing energy storage in these areas was the wide diversity in the various sites. Northern Powergrid needed battery systems that could fit into a range of electricity distribution substations.
Energy storage will be used to help integrate more solar and wind energy into the UK’s electricity network. To fit the needs of the project at four of the six sites, NEC Energy supplied lithium-ion based grid battery systems packaged in a variety of enclosures including standard 40-foot containers and smaller customized enclosures. The last two locations required energy storage systems installed directly into pre-existing buildings.
NEC Corporation recently acquired A123 Energy Solutions, the grid energy storage business of A123 Systems, in a $100 million deal that was finalized in May.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- The Sustainable Edge™
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions