NEC Pays $100M for Grid Energy Storage Business of A123
NEC is purchasing the A123 Energy Solutions business unit of A123 Systems for about $100 million. NEC says the acquisition with strengthen the energy storage capability of its smart energy business and make NEC a leading supplier of lithium-ion grid energy storage systems.
An agreement on the terms of the deal has been finalized and a new company “NEC Energy Solutions” is slated to begin operation in June 2014 under the direction of NEC.
A123′s existing cell manufacturing and sales, research and development, and automotive operations will remain the core focus of A123 Systems.
A123 Energy Solutions has deployed over 110 MW of its Grid Storage Solutions (GSS) worldwide. The company recently announced it had commissioned a 1 MW GSS for IHI Corporation, an industrial equipment manufacturer in Japan.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement