NEC Provides Energy Storage Systems for Smart Grid in Rome
NEC Italia and Acea, the Italian multi-utility serving the Rome metropolitan area, are working together to develop lithium-ion Energy Storage Systems (ESS) to be implemented in Acea’s primary and secondary power substations.
The parties signed an agreement in December 2012, marking the beginning of a partnership framework for enhancing smart grid development in Rome. NEC will deliver two ESS (180 kW/100 kWh and 100 kW/50 kWh) which represent the key elements of Acea’s smart grid project designed to improve the quality of utility services, reduce energy losses and improve the management of distributed energy generators, such as photovoltaic systems and wind power systems.
The ESS will start operation in September 2013 and contribute to several applications that include peak shaving/time shifting of power consumption, power balancing, power-system stabilization and power outage backup.
The 180 kW/100 kWh ESS connected to Acea’s low-voltage electricity grid will serve as an emergency backup power source in the event of a utility grid outage. The 100 kW/50 kWh ESS, coupled with Acea’s photovoltaic power plant and connected to its mid-voltage electricity grid, improve service quality and continuity of distributed energy generators by compensating for power fluctuations. The ESS were designed by the NEC EMEA Energy competence center which was established in Italy in 2011.
In addition, NEC will provide a real-time monitoring system for the temperature and charge-discharge status of ESS, which assures system safety and reliability.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room