NEC Provides Energy Storage Systems for Smart Grid in Rome
NEC Italia and Acea, the Italian multi-utility serving the Rome metropolitan area, are working together to develop lithium-ion Energy Storage Systems (ESS) to be implemented in Acea’s primary and secondary power substations.
The parties signed an agreement in December 2012, marking the beginning of a partnership framework for enhancing smart grid development in Rome. NEC will deliver two ESS (180 kW/100 kWh and 100 kW/50 kWh) which represent the key elements of Acea’s smart grid project designed to improve the quality of utility services, reduce energy losses and improve the management of distributed energy generators, such as photovoltaic systems and wind power systems.
The ESS will start operation in September 2013 and contribute to several applications that include peak shaving/time shifting of power consumption, power balancing, power-system stabilization and power outage backup.
The 180 kW/100 kWh ESS connected to Acea’s low-voltage electricity grid will serve as an emergency backup power source in the event of a utility grid outage. The 100 kW/50 kWh ESS, coupled with Acea’s photovoltaic power plant and connected to its mid-voltage electricity grid, improve service quality and continuity of distributed energy generators by compensating for power fluctuations. The ESS were designed by the NEC EMEA Energy competence center which was established in Italy in 2011.
In addition, NEC will provide a real-time monitoring system for the temperature and charge-discharge status of ESS, which assures system safety and reliability.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds