NEEA, RETA Launch Industrial Energy Efficiency Certification
The Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA) and the Refrigerating Engineers & Technicians Association (RETA) partnered to develop a new energy efficiency certification for industrial refrigeration operators.
Certified Refrigeration Energy Specialist (CRES) gives Northwest refrigeration operators, technicians, managers and other refrigeration professionals the skills and capabilities to optimize the energy efficiency of their plants and to discover low- and no-cost savings.
To kick-start CRES in the Northwest, NEEA held three demonstration trainings for refrigeration operators and technicians in the Seattle, Boise and Yakima areas. The trainings helped participants gain the knowledge and hands-on capabilities needed to meet RETA’s CRES requirements, including passing an examination and completing and documenting five energy management activities.
NEEA and RETA are also exploring options to develop RETA CRES certification into a national program for all RETA members and refrigeration professionals.
Industrial refrigeration comprises nearly nine percent of the Northwest’s regional industrial electric energy load. Typical cost reductions are about three to seven percent refrigeration electricity use after a year or more of consistent effort by a CRES-certified operator. Operators must complete additional energy management activities every three years plus continuing education to maintain certification.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management