Nest, ComEd Partner to Offer Energy Rebates
ComEd is partnering with Nest Labs to offer up to $140 in rebates for Illinois residential customers who purchase a Nest Learning Thermostat and participate in ComEd’s demand response program.
In January, Google announced it was purchasing Nest Labs for $3.2 billion. Although Nest thermostats are for residential customers, the concept is likely to be embraced by commercial customers as well.
Now through May 31, ComEd will give customers a $100 rebate for signing up to participate in its demand response program Smart Ideas AC Cycling pilot that features Nest’s Rush Hour Rewards, and an additional $40 rebate for participating in the pilot all summer.
With Nest Rush Hour Rewards, temperatures are automatically adjusted around rush hours, or peak energy times. Depending on what Nest has learned from the customer’s temperature preferences, it might raise the temperature by a few degrees during the afternoon and/or pre-cool a home before the rush hour begins to make sure the home is reasonably comfortable while using less energy during the these peak times. Customers can override the temperature by changing the setting, and Nest will remember the adjusted temperatures.
With ComEd’s AC Cycling pilot, Nest will send a wireless signal to adjust the controls on a customer’s air conditioning unit, automatically helping them reduce electric demand during peak periods. AC Cycling will only occur from June 1 to Sept. 30 when needed on the hottest days of the summer.
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control