Nest Thermostat Reduces Peak Load 55%
Nest Labs says in summer 2013, its Rush Hour Rewards program via its learning thermostat delivered an average of 55 percent energy reduction in residential air conditioning loads during peak times, while its Seasonal Savings program helped customers lower their overall air conditioning runtime by 4.7 percent.
Nest found that 84 percent of customers who participated in Rush Hour Rewards and 89 percent of customers who participated in Seasonal Savings said they were just as thermally comfortable as they were before they participated in the programs.
Rush Hour Rewards adjusts thermostats during peak demand. With Seasonal Savings, a Nest thermostat uses its knowledge of a customer’s schedule and preferences to gradually fine-tune the temperature schedule to save energy. Both services are offered only through Nest’s energy partners.
Google-owned Nest has made a huge splash in the residential energy efficiency world, not only with its technology, but with its partnerships.
Nest is also expanding its energy partnerships globally, adding npower in the UK and Columbia Gas of Ohio, ComEd, CPS Energy and Direct Energy in the U.S. These companies join more than 12 existing Nest energy partners – including NRG Energy, its subsidiaries Reliant and Green Mountain Energy, Direct Energy Canada, National Grid, Austin Energy, Infinite Energy and Southern California Edison.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement