Net Metering Lives To See Another Day in California
California Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 327 that will remove the suspension on solar net metering that would have gone into effect at the end of 2014. The bill also clarifies how the current net metering cap is calculated and provides a framework for removing the net metering cap altogether.
In addition, AB 327 removes the 33 percent ceiling on the state’s Renewable Portfolio Standard.
AB 327 directs the California Public Utilities Commission to create transition rules for net metering by March 2014. Gov. Brown said, “I expect the Commission to ensure that customers who took service under net metering prior to reaching the statutory net metering cap on or before July 1, 2017, are protected under those rules for the expected life of their systems.”
The solar industry cheered the signing, but also expects challenges to maintaining solar-friendly state policies.
The Alliance for Solar Choice (TASC), formed by four solar companies – SolarCity, Sungevity, Sunrun and Verengo – works to ensure the continuation of net metering, which the group says is threatened by electric utilities. TASC said the CPUC has been left a lot of wiggle room to create new net metering rules, and the group expects continuing contention between the state’s utilities and solar stakeholders.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems