Net-zero Developer Selects Ekotrope for Energy Efficiency Modeling
The Green Key Village venture in Lady Lake, Fla., will offer eco-friendly homes available in ten floor plans. Each home and design will be fully sustainable as defined and certified by the Florida Green Building Coalition (FGBC) and the Home Energy Rating System (HERS).
Green Key Village says its biggest challenge was to find a means to analyze every individual aspect of its 145 home community to ensure that each development could be customized, and result in a net-zero energy status at a cost-effective price. With homebuyers able to select custom options, there are potentially thousands of variables to consider for each home in terms of making it net-zero-energy.
Ekotrope’s software suite, which was developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, allows builders to analyze energy-efficient and cost-effective configurations of different building envelopes and heating and cooling systems. By analyzing entire systems and comparing thousands of different configurations, the developers of Green Key Village can find the sweet spots that save maximum energy at the lowest cost.
The concept of mixing and matching different features to find the most energy efficiency is also be explored at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, which has constructed the Facility for Low Energy Experiments in Buildings (FLEXLAB), consisting of four outdoor test modules. FLEXLAB allows experimenters to replace any building system such as exterior building envelope, windows and shading systems, lights, HVAC, energy control systems, roofs and skylights, or interior components such as furniture, partitions, and raised floors.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room