Nevada PAC Seeks Entry into State for Retail Energy Suppliers
On February 3, a new political action committee (PAC) – Nevadans for Affordable, Clean Energy Choices – filed “The Energy Choice Initiative” petition with the Office of Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske. The petition seeks to open the Silver State to retail energy suppliers – ending the monopoly that NV Energy has enjoyed since 1998.
The petitioners have composed a sort of “Bill of Rights” for the state’s ratepayers, meant to amend the Nevada Constitution – asserting that “Every person, business, association of persons or businesses, state agency, political subdivision of the state … or any other entity in Nevada has the right to choose the provider of its electric utility service, including but not limited to, selecting providers from a competitive retail electric market – or by producing electricity for themselves or in association with others ….”
In accordance with the petition, the PAC requests that, not later than July 1, 2023, the Nevada Legislature should provide by law for “provisions consistent with this act to establish an open, competitive retail electric energy market.”
“We are a broad coalition of Nevadans from all walks who want lower costs and more choices in energy sources, including renewable energy that will spur innovation and create thousands of good new jobs here in Nevada,” Matt Griffin, a lawyer for the PAC, told the Reno Gazette-Journal.. “We aim to open Nevada’s energy markets, so consumers have the freedom to choose new, more affordable energy and cleaner options for a healthier environment. This campaign is about empowering a brighter, cleaner future for Nevada’s economy and great outdoors.”
The petition initiative represents the latest shot across the bow in an increasingly bitter energy battle in Nevada, where the rooftop-solar industry has been tussling with both the Nevada Public Utilities Commission and NV Energy over new net metering rules, regulations, and reimbursements.
The Nevada Secretary of State had made no public comments on the petition at press time.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash