New Federal Buildings Must Meet ASHRAE 90.1
The Energy Department published a new rule requiring new federal buildings to meet higher energy efficiency standards. The rule applies to buildings for which design began on or after July 9, 2014.
The rule updates the baseline federal commercial standards to the 2010 version of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Standard 90.1, which the Energy Department determined would save 18.2 percent more energy in commercial buildings than the 2007 version of Standard 90.1.
The ASHRAE Standard 90.1 is developed through an American National Standards Institute consensus process that involves industry, building owners, designers, and government. The process includes extensive public review and comment on each change to Standard 90.1.
The rule, published in the Federal Register, applies to the construction of new Federal commercial and multi-family high-rise buildings.
The Energy Department said it was compelled by federal law to enact the new rule because it must keep federal baseline energy efficiency standards current with industry practices.
The more stringent standard comes just weeks after President Obama unveiled his Climate Action Plan, part of which includes more energy efficiency in federal buildings.
Photo credit: cliff1066’s Flickr photostream
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement