Ryden Dual Carbon Battery Released
A new battery offers energy density comparable to a lithium ion battery, but over a much longer functional lifetime with improved safety and cradle-to-cradle sustainability, its manufacturer claims.
Power Japan Plus launched the technology, the Ryden dual carbon battery, which uses a unique chemistry with both the anode and the cathode made of carbon.
Power Japan Plus will begin benchmark production later this year at the company’s production facility in Okinawa, Japan. This facility will allow the company to meet demand for specialty energy storage markets such as medical devices and satellites.
The company says it satisfies a variety of demands, including:
- High Performance – energy dense and charges 20 times faster than lithium ion batteries. It is also more powerful than other advanced batteries, operating above four volts.
- Cost – slots directly into existing manufacturing processes and permits consolidation of the supply chain, with only one active material — carbon. Additionally, manufacturing of the Ryden battery is under no threat of supply disruption or price spikes from rare metals, rare earth or heavy metals.
- Reliable – rated for more than 3,000 charge/discharge cycles.
- Safe – the Ryden battery eliminates the unstable active material used in other high performance batteries, greatly reducing fire and explosion hazard.
- Sustainable – contains no rare metals, rare earth metals or heavy metals, and is 100 percent recyclable, vastly improving the cradle-to-cradle sustainability of an advanced battery.
Power Japan Plus is developing the dual carbon battery technology in partnership with Kyushu University in Fukuoka, Japan.
- It's Time for Today's EHS and Sustainability Professionals to Embrace Big Data
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Verdantix Green Quadrant for EHS Software