Ryden Dual Carbon Battery Released
A new battery offers energy density comparable to a lithium ion battery, but over a much longer functional lifetime with improved safety and cradle-to-cradle sustainability, its manufacturer claims.
Power Japan Plus launched the technology, the Ryden dual carbon battery, which uses a unique chemistry with both the anode and the cathode made of carbon.
Power Japan Plus will begin benchmark production later this year at the company’s production facility in Okinawa, Japan. This facility will allow the company to meet demand for specialty energy storage markets such as medical devices and satellites.
The company says it satisfies a variety of demands, including:
- High Performance – energy dense and charges 20 times faster than lithium ion batteries. It is also more powerful than other advanced batteries, operating above four volts.
- Cost – slots directly into existing manufacturing processes and permits consolidation of the supply chain, with only one active material — carbon. Additionally, manufacturing of the Ryden battery is under no threat of supply disruption or price spikes from rare metals, rare earth or heavy metals.
- Reliable – rated for more than 3,000 charge/discharge cycles.
- Safe – the Ryden battery eliminates the unstable active material used in other high performance batteries, greatly reducing fire and explosion hazard.
- Sustainable – contains no rare metals, rare earth metals or heavy metals, and is 100 percent recyclable, vastly improving the cradle-to-cradle sustainability of an advanced battery.
Power Japan Plus is developing the dual carbon battery technology in partnership with Kyushu University in Fukuoka, Japan.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management