New York Governor Announces Solar Power Program for Schools
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the rollout of K-Solar, a program under the $1 billion NY-Sun Initiative, to help public school districts throughout New York State lower their energy costs with clean, local power. The program will provide schools with the tools, technical expertise and access to financing to make solar a realistic and affordable option for K-12 schools.
To date, a total of 40 school districts have registered to participate in the program, representing nearly 200 schools in communities across the state.
K-Solar is a joint partnership between the New York Power Authority (NYPA) and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), working with the New York State Education Department. NYPA is offering every New York State school district free energy advisory services and expertise to collaborate with school personnel in determining if solar energy is suitable and cost-effective for their district. The NYPA will work closely with the districts and the solar industry to secure the most attractive solar financing. These services will be free to schools, with the only costs being from the clean electricity generated from the installed solar panels. There is no limit to the number of public school districts that can participate in the program.
NYSERDA administers the statewide NY-Sun Initiative program, which will lower the overall costs of the installations, and the State Education Department will work with the schools to streamline the solar permitting process.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?