NFRC ‘Resource’ for Architects
The National Fenestration Rating Council can a great resource for architects that have questions about building codes or commercial glazing, according to Ray McGowan, a senior program manager for the NFRC.
The NFRC aims to make code enforcement easy with a user-friendly and easily accessible verifiable ratings system, but building codes, which are enacted on a state-by-state basis can be complex, McGowan told GlassGuides.com.
The ratings system currently has 9.5 million rated products from 750 different participants and its online components allows project managers to look up window labels and check ratings free of charge, McGowan says.
The energy standard for most buildings underwent an overhaul in 2013 that is significant compared to recent versions and up to 50 percent more demanding than the 2004 revision.
ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, incorporates 110 addenda. These reflect changes made through the public review process by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
The standard was last revised in 2010, and the new version represents a standard 40 to 50 percent more stringent than the 2004 version.
Major changes to requirements for building envelope, lighting, mechanical and the energy cost budget are included.
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology