NFRC ‘Resource’ for Architects
The National Fenestration Rating Council can a great resource for architects that have questions about building codes or commercial glazing, according to Ray McGowan, a senior program manager for the NFRC.
The NFRC aims to make code enforcement easy with a user-friendly and easily accessible verifiable ratings system, but building codes, which are enacted on a state-by-state basis can be complex, McGowan told GlassGuides.com.
The ratings system currently has 9.5 million rated products from 750 different participants and its online components allows project managers to look up window labels and check ratings free of charge, McGowan says.
The energy standard for most buildings underwent an overhaul in 2013 that is significant compared to recent versions and up to 50 percent more demanding than the 2004 revision.
ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, incorporates 110 addenda. These reflect changes made through the public review process by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).
The standard was last revised in 2010, and the new version represents a standard 40 to 50 percent more stringent than the 2004 version.
Major changes to requirements for building envelope, lighting, mechanical and the energy cost budget are included.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing