NM Air Force Base Explores Biomass for Energy
The US Air Force has entered into a license agreement with New Generation Biomass to explore development of a biomass renewable energy generation facility on Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico.
The license grants New Generation Biomass limited access to approximately 80 acres on Holloman AFB to determine its suitability for the proposed Black Bear Biomass Energy Facility, which would provide up to 20 MW of energy to the El Paso Electric grid, from which the base purchases electricity.
The agreement could result in an Enhanced Use Lease (EUL), a tool through which the Air Force leases real property assets to developers seeking to partner in projects that will benefit all stakeholders. If approved, the lease would provide the installation with either cash or in-kind payments to help fund Holloman needs.
The Air Force Civil Engineer Center, in San Antonio, Texas, manages the EUL program, and is partnering with Holloman AFB to develop the project. The Air Force is working with the prospective developer and coordinating with government agencies to carefully consider the effects of the proposed facility, to include environmental impacts, energy benefits and long-term sustainability. In addition, the 49th Wing is committed to transparency throughout the process, and, should the project move forward, there will be opportunities for public input.
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Meeting the GHG Challenge: Reporting Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement