NRG Buys Retail Electric Business of Dominion, Assets of Edison Mission Energy
NRG Energy has entered into agreements with Dominion Resources to acquire its retail electric business. Dominion currently serves more than 600,000 customer accounts in Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania, and through its Cirro Energy brand in Texas.
Once completed, the acquisition will support NRG’s ongoing efforts to expand the company’s retail footprint in the Northeast and to grow its retail position in Texas.
NRG says customers should expect a seamless transition and no change in their service. The transaction is expected to close by the end of March.
In addition, the US Bankruptcy Court has approved Edison Mission Energy’s (EME) Plan of Reorganization and the related sale of substantially all of EME’s assets, including the equity interests in EME’s subsidiaries, to NRG Energy.
NRG says the acquisition of EME’s portfolio of renewable and conventional generation assets will make NRG the largest competitive US power company with about 53,600 MW of generating capacity.
NRG expects to close the transaction by the end of the Q1 2014, following FERC approval.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement