NRG Energy Builds Energy Efficient Headquarters
NRG Energy broke ground for its new grid resilient corporate headquarters in Princeton, NJ, slated to open in 2016. The new building is being developed in collaboration with Boston Properties, which will own the building and sign a 15-year lease with NRG.
The three-floor, 130,000-sq-foot headquarters will incorporate, among other technologies:
- Two on-site solar fields, with roughly 765 kW of capacity, expected to produce some 980 MWh per year;
- High-efficiency LED lighting combined with daylight harvesting to reduce indoor lighting needs and energy use by roughly one-third;
- Over 30 electric vehicle charging stations with the infrastructure for EV-to-grid (eV2g) “back-feed” capability;
- Off-grid capabilities and significant additional energy efficiency provided through dual-fuel generators and combined heat and power (CHP) systems for heating and cooling.
Grid power, to the extent it is used, will be 100 percent renewable energy through one of NRG’s green retail subsidiaries.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Planning for a Sustainable Future