NRG Energy Does ‘Community Solar’ in a Big Way
Solar gardens are becoming a popular way for home and business owners to invest in their own solar modules without having to install the devices on their own property. Now, NRG Energy has taken the concept to a whole new level.
NRG Energy opened the NRG Community 1 Solar Generating Facility – a 6 MW installation of more than 25,000 modules on nearly 37 acres of land.
The project was developed by Sol Orchard in collaboration with the Center for Energy Sustainability at San Diego State University’s Imperial Valley Campus.
The Imperial Irrigation District will purchase all energy generated by the facility under a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) and sell it at a competitive rate to interested customers through a community solar program. The inventive system design follows a similar NRG community solar installation in Rutland, Vt., creating a unique option for homes and facilities that may not be ideal candidates for rooftop systems.
The Boeing Company provided engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) for the Community 1 project, marking completion of its first solar power plant for NRG. Boeing and NRG are also currently building the 25.65 MW Dandan Solar Facility, which will be the first solar power plant on the island of Guam, with an expected completion date later this year.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement