NRG Energy Does ‘Community Solar’ in a Big Way
Solar gardens are becoming a popular way for home and business owners to invest in their own solar modules without having to install the devices on their own property. Now, NRG Energy has taken the concept to a whole new level.
NRG Energy opened the NRG Community 1 Solar Generating Facility – a 6 MW installation of more than 25,000 modules on nearly 37 acres of land.
The project was developed by Sol Orchard in collaboration with the Center for Energy Sustainability at San Diego State University’s Imperial Valley Campus.
The Imperial Irrigation District will purchase all energy generated by the facility under a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) and sell it at a competitive rate to interested customers through a community solar program. The inventive system design follows a similar NRG community solar installation in Rutland, Vt., creating a unique option for homes and facilities that may not be ideal candidates for rooftop systems.
The Boeing Company provided engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) for the Community 1 project, marking completion of its first solar power plant for NRG. Boeing and NRG are also currently building the 25.65 MW Dandan Solar Facility, which will be the first solar power plant on the island of Guam, with an expected completion date later this year.
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement