NRG Energy’s New HQ Is Hallmark to Energy-Saving Design
NRG Energy is building a new corporate headquarters in West Windsor, NJ, about one mile away from its current West Windsor buildings. The building is being designed to meet the LEED Gold certification standard, according to an article on NJ.com.
The exterior of the 120,500-sq-foot building will consist primarily of glass and zinc. Less energy is used in the process of harvesting, manufacturing, transporting and installing zinc than other metals.
The facility will also make broad use of solar, installing solar panel canopies over 443 parking stalls and panel wings covering 10,000 square feet of the building’s roof. Horizontal and vertical solar awnings will prevent interior glare and shade workspaces on sunny days.
Two 25-foot upright wind turbines and an electrical vehicle charging station will also be installed on the property.
Construction of the $40 million project is slated to be complete in 2016.
Earlier this year, NRG demonstrated its commitment to community solar energy when it opened the NRG Community 1 Solar Generating Facility—a 6 MW installation of more than 25,000 modules on nearly 37 acres of land.
NRG also has experience with meeting LEED certification standards. In 2013, the company partnered with Santa Clara Stadium Authority to help the San Francisco 49ers new facility become the first professional football stadium to open with LEED certification.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Missing Puzzle Piece: Automated Utility Data Aggregation
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year