NRG Stadium Retrofits with LEDs
NRG Stadium in Houston is illuminating its field with an array of LED lights that will use 60 percent less energy than the lighting they replaced.
NRG Energy and stadium officials hired Musco Lighting to engineer the custom lighting system, which draws 337 kW at full power, 60 percent less than the stadium’s previous light system. The field lighting array is comprised of more than 65,000 LEDs, which are mounted in 480 optically enhanced luminaries. Dimming and instant on/off features further contribute to efficiency capabilities, particularly for concerts and other events where full light levels aren’t necessary.
The new LED lights are part of a sustainability master plan for NRG Stadium that is spearheaded by NRG Energy. NRG has also installed an eVgo electric vehicle parking lot at its namesake stadium that includes six charging stations and soon will install more than 700 solar panels.
With these updates, NRG Stadium joins the growing ranks of other professional football venues NRG has worked with to embrace renewables, including FedEx Field in Maryland, Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, Patriot Place in Massachusetts and Levi’s Stadium in California.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year