NSG Group Makes Energy Efficient Glass at Energy Efficient Plant
The NSG Group – manufacturer of Pilkington glass in the UK – has invested $56 million in a new high-tech glass coating facility at its Cowley Hill glass factory.
The coater, located at the company’s Cowley Hill site in St Helens, enables ultra-thin special coatings to be applied to glass, creating a range of high-performance energy-saving architectural glass products. Having started production in November 2012, the line is now fully operational and currently producing Pilkington KGlass S glass – the company’s latest energy-efficient product – at a rate equivalent to 4 million square meters per year.
Construction of the facility was supported by a $7.4 million grant from the UK government’s Regional Growth Fund. The plant feature electric glass transporters and sensor-controlled lighting, along with high quality water recycling and treatment processes, to help minimize the carbon footprint of the glass being produced.
The design of the coating line means that a wide range of products can be manufactured for use both in the UK and for export. Production of the Pilkington Optitherm low-emissivity and the Pilkington Suncool solar control ranges will commence shortly with development of new products in progress supported by the NSG Group Technical Center in Lathom.
The Minister of State for Climate Change, Gregory Barker, recently visited the coating facility, where he talked about the government’s Green Deal initiative. Energy-efficient window glazing is one of many measures UK home and business owners can use to improve their heating bills with help from the Green Deal.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Mobility From The Plant Floor To The Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy, and Productivity
- Building Energy Intelligence
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management