NY to Invest in Microgrid Technology
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a microgrid feasibility study for the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) Red Hook Houses in Brooklyn. Spearheaded by the New York Power Authority (NYPA), the study will explore the viability of creating a microgrid that is powered by new local energy sources to ensure power resiliency for the 2,800 residential apartment units in Red Hook Houses and the residential facility’s Miccio Community Center.
The study will assess the suitability of various local energy sources, including cogeneration, emergency generators, wind, or solar energy, and their ability to be used during emergency power events. The expected outcome of the study will include detailed cost estimates for alternatives studied.
NYPA provides electricity to NYCHA housing developments and thousands of other public facilities and services in the city.
The study will:
- Determine the necessary sizes of all basic power generation equipment to serve Red Hook Houses.
- Assess the feasibility of establishing a microgrid tie-in to the electric distribution system in coordination with Con Edison.
- Review heat-and-hot-water distribution systems for resiliency and heat recovery from the local power generation sources.
- Conduct a site-suitability assessment to determine potential locations for local power generation equipment.
The results of the study will also provide guidance for potential microgrid implementation across multiple NYCHA developments and potentially inform the wider Red Hook community in their investigation of additional resiliency measures.
NYCHA is considering similar approaches to improve energy resiliency for its numerous facilities. Thus, this study will inform the substantive research on existing and prospective resiliency measures to maximize State and City investments of federal Community Development Block Grant – Disaster Recovery funding currently allocated for Hurricane Sandy recovery.
The study is expected to be complete by early next year.
Photo of Brooklyn via Shutterstock.
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Planning for a Sustainable Future