Obama Criticized for Leadership on Energy Efficient Equipment
Analysis by the Appliance Standards Awareness Project (ASAP) and the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE) finds that the delays for eight overdue standards related to appliances will result in about 40 million metric tons of excess carbon dioxide emissions and has cost consumers and businesses about $3.7 billion, so far.
“Over the past two years, the administration has missed deadline after deadline for completing new or updated standards for products ranging from microwave ovens to commercial refrigerators to industrial motors,” writes Andrew deLaski, executive director of ASAP in a blog posting at ACEEE.
Because each month of delay also delays the effective date of any new standard, millions of additional inefficient products will be sold and remain in use, wasting energy for many years.
The Department of Energy is the agency responsible for completing new efficiency standards. Once DOE completes a notice of proposed rule (NOPR) or a final rule containing a new standard, it must be approved by the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
ASAP and ACEEE say during the first two years of the Obama administration, DOE and OMB worked well to complete new standards on time. But over the past two years, OMB’s reviews have become lengthy – as long as 16 months in one case – and DOE has fallen behind.
In January, the DOE said it was seeking public comment on the energy conservation standards for certain commercial air-conditioning and heating equipment.
The complimentary report "Guide to Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Software," created by Groom Energy and brought to you by Enablon, presents the main drivers for companies to invest in sustainability software. The guide describes the biggest challenges, identifies key software features to look for and offers recommendations for selecting sustainability software. Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management