Obama Examines Fuel Cells in Sweden
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was examined by President Barack Obama during his recent state visit to Sweden.
President Obama had specifically requested to study some outstanding Swedish energy technology innovations at a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology, and PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was part of three innovations selected for personal demonstrations. Obama also saw a water purification system by the Swedish company Solvatten and a hybrid bus engine from AB Volvo.
The choice of solutions to demonstrate to the President was done by the Swedish Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications together with the White House.
President Obama was accompanied by Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt for the visit to the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, on Wednesday September 4. For the fuel cell part of the demonstration, Swedish scientists showed a student-built hydrogen-powered Sleipner test vehicle and a mobile phone charger.
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell is a proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell, which allows for full power output within seconds and is capable of extensive starts and stops. S1 fuel cell stacks are designed for radically low pressure drop and possess a high CO tolerance, so can therefore run on reformate gas, says PowerCell.
PowerCell has been cooperating with the Royal Institute of Technology for many years with several mutual research and development projects, including on the development of more efficient and energy efficient fuel cells.
Photo courtesy of Sweden’s Royal Institute of Technology
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape