Obama Examines Fuel Cells in Sweden
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was examined by President Barack Obama during his recent state visit to Sweden.
President Obama had specifically requested to study some outstanding Swedish energy technology innovations at a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology, and PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was part of three innovations selected for personal demonstrations. Obama also saw a water purification system by the Swedish company Solvatten and a hybrid bus engine from AB Volvo.
The choice of solutions to demonstrate to the President was done by the Swedish Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications together with the White House.
President Obama was accompanied by Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt for the visit to the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, on Wednesday September 4. For the fuel cell part of the demonstration, Swedish scientists showed a student-built hydrogen-powered Sleipner test vehicle and a mobile phone charger.
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell is a proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell, which allows for full power output within seconds and is capable of extensive starts and stops. S1 fuel cell stacks are designed for radically low pressure drop and possess a high CO tolerance, so can therefore run on reformate gas, says PowerCell.
PowerCell has been cooperating with the Royal Institute of Technology for many years with several mutual research and development projects, including on the development of more efficient and energy efficient fuel cells.
Photo courtesy of Sweden’s Royal Institute of Technology
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Q4 2013 Sustainability Trends - The Logistics, Carbon and Business Data Book
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems