Obama Examines Fuel Cells in Sweden
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was examined by President Barack Obama during his recent state visit to Sweden.
President Obama had specifically requested to study some outstanding Swedish energy technology innovations at a visit to the Royal Institute of Technology, and PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell stack was part of three innovations selected for personal demonstrations. Obama also saw a water purification system by the Swedish company Solvatten and a hybrid bus engine from AB Volvo.
The choice of solutions to demonstrate to the President was done by the Swedish Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications together with the White House.
President Obama was accompanied by Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt for the visit to the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, on Wednesday September 4. For the fuel cell part of the demonstration, Swedish scientists showed a student-built hydrogen-powered Sleipner test vehicle and a mobile phone charger.
PowerCell’s S1 fuel cell is a proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell, which allows for full power output within seconds and is capable of extensive starts and stops. S1 fuel cell stacks are designed for radically low pressure drop and possess a high CO tolerance, so can therefore run on reformate gas, says PowerCell.
PowerCell has been cooperating with the Royal Institute of Technology for many years with several mutual research and development projects, including on the development of more efficient and energy efficient fuel cells.
Photo courtesy of Sweden’s Royal Institute of Technology
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape