Obtaining Rebates for Energy Efficiency Projects
RealWinWin is a Philadelphia firm that helps businesses obtain rebates and incentives from utilities in order to conduct energy efficiency projects.
In 2003, the company pioneered rebates administration, a service to collect energy-efficiency rebates and incentives. Now, RealWinWin has customers who, collectively, own or manage more than one billion square feet of commercial space.
Doug Bloom, CEO of RealWinWin said, “Our customers are mostly national chains (mostly retail, QSR, hospitality, services) which own and operate hundreds to thousands of locations across regions and/or the entire country, with individual per site spaces ranging typically from 1,000 square feet up to 150,000 square feet or greater.”
Since creating his company, Bloom has seen other companies get into the rebate administration game, primarily energy service providers and lighting vendors who use rebates as a carrot to win contracts.
But RealWinWin focuses strictly on rebates. Its clients include Walgreens, 7-Eleven, Starbucks, JC Penneys, Kohl’s and Toys “R” Us. “They’re upgrading lighting and other energy systems,” Bloom told Philly.com. “They know rebates are available but realize one or two people in a central office won’t be able to handle that.”
The average rebate ranges from $1,000 to $4,000 of which RealWinWin usually gets 20-25 percent. The company says businesses can recoup 20-30 percent of their project costs by capturing rebates. RealWinWin captures between five and ten thousand checks from rebate programs across the country in support of its customers each year.
Bloom told Energy Manager Today that effectively all states in the US have utility jurisdictions offering some form of program. There are programs totaling about $9 billion across the country across commercial, residential, direct pay to contractor, etc. That number is expected to top $12 billion by 2020, according to the Consortium for Energy Efficiency.
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management