Offshore Wind Testing Facility Opens in South Carolina
Clemson University in Charleston, SC, this week dedicated the Wind Turbine Drivetrain Testing Facility and Electrical Grid Simulator.
Dubbed the “SCE&G Energy Innovation Center,” the facility houses the new wind-turbine drivetrain testing facility capable of full-scale highly accelerated mechanical and electrical testing of advanced drivetrain systems for wind turbines. A drivetrain takes energy generated by a turbine’s blades and increases the rotational speed to drive the electrical generator, similar to the transmission in a car.
The center also houses a 15 MW hardware-in-the-loop grid simulator – the Duke Energy eGRID.
In November 2009, the US Department of Energy awarded Clemson University a $45 million grant toward development of the 82,000-sq-foot-facility. Along with additional public and private funds, this $110 million facility is now complete and will enable offshore wind turbine manufacturers to test prototype and next-generation turbines.
Just this week, the DOE’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory dedicated its new Dynamometer Test Facility, which offers industry engineers the opportunity to conduct a wide range of tests on the mechanical and electrical power producing systems of a wind turbine.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing