Ohio Governor ‘Freezes’ Energy Efficiency Requirements
Ohio’s Governor John Kasich signed into law Senate Bill 310 that will freeze the state’s energy efficiency and renewable energy mandates at this year’s levels until 2017.
Similar to a situation in Indiana earlier this year, critics of the bill say it will effectively halt energy efficiency programs in the state.
Supporters of the legislation in Ohio claim the current mandates that require utilities to source at least 25 percent of their power from renewables by 2025 and reduce overall energy consumption by 22 percent are too costly for ratepayers, especially for industrial electricity users.
The bill states that the energy efficiency rules will automatically be restored in 2017. However, the bill also creates a legislative study committee that could recommend the legislature permanently amend or freeze the rules.
On the other hand, by 2017, states will be implementing the Environmental Protection Agency’s new pollution rules, and Ohio may have to re-look at how it’s going to comply, including reinstating its energy efficiency and renewables mandates.
Supporters of the bill included the Ohio Chamber of Commerce, National Federation of Independent Business of Ohio, and Ohio Council of Retail Merchants as well as electric utilities.
EDF Associate Vice President, Clean Energy, Cheryl Roberto commented, “In the past, Environmental Defense Fund has been pleased to praise Gov. John Kasich for his leadership on reducing harmful air pollution from oil and gas production and bringing diverse stakeholders together to put clean energy standards in place that are good for Ohio’s economy, health and environment. Unfortunately, the bill the Governor signed into law today can only be viewed as a step backwards for the state.”
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Energy Financing Report
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management