Ohio Senate Wants to Freeze Utility Efficiency Mandates
Republican state lawmakers in Ohio introduced legislation that would freeze the state’s energy efficiency and renewable energy mandates at this year’s levels, according to The Plain Dealer.
Senate Bill 310 would also create the Energy Mandates Study Committee, a body that would be charged with determining by Dec. 15, 2015 how much mandated efficiency and renewables projects actually cost consumers and how costs may change if the state resumed the mandates as currently written in the existing law, the paper reports. The legislation would require regulators to mandate that utilities disclose the costs of such programs on customers’ bills.
The current law requires that utilities install energy efficiency equipment in a bid to to reduce overall power consumption and decrease peak demand by 22 percent by 2025, compared to 2009 levels. Such efficiency programs are paid for by small increases in electricity rates, the paper reports.
The new legislation would instead require a 1 percent reduction in demand by the end of this year, compared to an average of the last three years. In 2015, and in subsequent years, the reduction requirement would be frozen at 4.2 percent of the sales from 2011 to 2014.
In Indiana, legislators voted to shut down the state’s energy efficiency program – Energizing Indiana. Energizing Indiana pays energy auditors to visit homes and businesses and recommend ways to reduce energy. The program was launched in 2012 and mandates that utilities reduce energy consumption by 2 percent every year through 2019. The program will now end December 31, 2014.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Combined Heat and Power
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management